Friday, February 12, 2010

Introduction

AVE!

After years of being told that I should consider starting a blog and YouTube channel on Western Occultism I've decided to make a start. In this introductory post I will cover why I've decided to begin an Internet lecture series, what sorts of tools and approaches I plan to use, and a little background on who I am and why you should bother listening to me anyway.

Like many people I've often falling into the YouTube or Blogosphere event horizon not to emerge for hours. I've found blogs and videos on learning everything from gourmet cooking to Japanese language (written and spoken). Yet most of the material I've found on Western Occultism, Witchcraft and their related subjects are mostly garbage. Often they are the result of zealous newbies who are trying to find ways of expressing their new-found passion.

I have no problem with people trying to express themselves in this way. I myself am a writer and a musician so I understand the need to express one's self in the world. It's a good thing but few, if any of them, actually have the background or understanding to support their sharing of information with the world. Their zeal is often compounded by the fact that those of us who take these studies seriously are few and far between. In a way they are like those people during the renaissance who published small papers trying to get noticed by the large fraternities.

Sadly. they miss the final of the four occult maxims, "To be silent", and speak as though they, themselves were the authority on the subject. That has become the bane of the Internet over the years, anyone can claim to be an expert and anyone can publish whatever they please. I do not believe that the majority of people publishing occult based information on the Internet intend to obfuscate or mislead, it is only that they are inexperienced and have but scratched the surface of so great a field of study.

This, in fact, was a stumbling block for me for a long time. How much can one say without losing that strength and power which comes from silence? Even though I've done live lectures at various universities and have been planning local lectures and workshops the move to the Internet changes my audience drastically. Sadly, the local population of people interested in the subject is smaller than I had hoped and so, in the interests of fulfilling my purpose as an educator I have allowed my friends, colleagues and students to talk me into using this medium for my work.

It is my intent to offer good, solid information and practical instruction from my own perspective and experience in the field. In some cases what you find here will be in opposition to what you have read elsewhere. Many people do claim to be experts and yet have never worked with a contacted order or within a teaching tradition. If your interest is in Chaos Majik or Eclectic Witchcraft you're probably better off going elsewhere. Conversely if you are currently working with an order, fraternity or traditional coven then I am certain that you will find much of value in what I have to offer.

I plan to use text, graphics, audio and video to explain and expound upon concepts and teachings within the tradition. Some of these are difficult to get across using only text based media and occultists as early as Crowley and Regardie have made use of newer technologies to expand understanding of the subjects in question.

I will be sharing essays, images and other resources which will help expound the mysteries and supplement the spoken and written material given here and elsewhere. Although not a replacement for working with a contacted school, it will give valuable information for both the beginner and those looking for more advanced work in the field.

I will, though, be beginning with fairly simple subjects and concepts and move towards more advanced subjects as time progresses. The entire body of this work will, in time, be of use to students of all levels.

I am currently looking into multisymbol options as not all symbols in use in Occultism are available in Unicode or basic fontsets. Sadly their representation will vary widely based on different computers so I may, from time to time, post font-embedded PDF documents which allow much better control over symbol representation.

Finally, a little background on myself. I have been involved in the study of Western Occultism for over twenty years, most of that time has been spent working with a contacted Mystery School. I have taken academic degrees in Religions and Cultures and have spent many years doing field research into religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Witchcraft. In all cases my interest has been in the more Orthodox manifestations as these attempt to preserve the teachings of the past. With Witchcraft it was Alexandrian and Odyssian traditions, with Judaism it was studying under an Orthodox Rabbi and as a youngster it was Anglican and Roman Catholic Christianity.

I have published articles in small trade papers, lectured at the University of Ottawa, and served as a Director of Probationers with the Fraternity of the Hidden Light which has allowed me to work with occult students all over the world. I have edited a number of materials including courses, essays and books on the subject and moderated Internet discussion forums.

In short, I've spent most of my life studying Occultism both academically and practically. I've carried the broom, worn the Yarmalka and waved the wand on this journey and am now ready to start sharing what I've learned with my fellow travellers upon the path.

in LVX
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment